Almost one year after President Joe Biden's disastrous withdrawal of American military forces from Afghanistan, the Taliban regime has signed a 25-year contract with China to extract oil from the Amu Darya Basin.
On January 5th, senior members of the Islamist regime led by acting minister of mines and petroleum, Shahabuddin Dilawar, signed the contract with the Chinese ambassador in Kabul, as reported by The Diplomat.
According to The Diplomat, the deal with Xinjiang Central Asia Petroleum and Gas Co “will invest $150 million a year in Afghanistan, increasing to $540 million in three years for the 25-year contract.”
Wang Yu was quoted by The Diplomat saying, “The Amu Darya oil project is an important project of practical cooperation between China and Afghanistan.”
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid tweeted, “In the contract with the Chinese company, in which Afghanistan has a 20 percent share, it is our separate share outside of all accounts, which will be called a partner in the project. Likewise, 15 percent of royalty is also made a separate share of Afghanistan, the total extraordinary share of which reaches 35 percent. A separate share in the rest.”
له چینايي کمپنۍ سره په قرارداد کې چې افغانستان ۲۰ سلنې سهم لري، هغه د ټولو حسابونو څخه بهر زموږ جلا سهم دی چې په پروژه کې به شریک بلل کیږي.
همدا ډول ۱۵ سلنه حق الامتیاز هم جلا د افغانستان حصه جوړیږي چې ټول فوق العاده سهم ۳۵ سلنې ته رسیږي.
په باقي برخه کې جلا شریک یو.#اقتصاد
— Zabihullah (..ذبـــــیح الله م ) (@Zabehulah_M33) January 5, 2023
He added that in a separate section of the deal, “Afghanistan will share up to 75% according to the provisions.” As The Diplomat reports, the deal with CAPEIC works out to a $150 million annual investment in Afghanistan from Beijing, increasing to $540 million in three years for the life of the 25-year contract, promising billions in income for the Islamist terror state.
VOA News reported that the oil will be processed within Afghanistan in Dilawar. The location suggests that the Chinese firm will construct a refinery and that the project would cover a region approximately 1,700 square miles large.
As many outlets observed following the 2021 withdrawal of American troops from Afghanistan: China remained. The communist nation's embassy remained intact and diplomats from Beijing stepped in almost immediately to help the “Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan.”
Chinese Embassy in Afghanistan is operating normally. The principle of non-interference in domestic affairs enables China to maintain the confidence that it need not close its embassy in Kabul which still functions normally in this special, chaotic time. pic.twitter.com/LiZA3O90ab
— Hu Xijin 胡锡进 (@HuXijin_GT) August 16, 2021
It was estimated in 2011 when state-owned China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) signed an oil contract with the government under former President Ashraf Ghani that the Amu Darya basin could yield up to 87 million barrels of crude oil. Such exhaustive reserves could provide China with something Beijing has sought for almost a century: an overland source of oil. Such a strategic find would ensure that, if in a future conflict with America, China couldn't be blockaded or interfered with by the naval powers of the United States and Europe.